This article explains how to return to version 8 after you've installed version 9 of SOHO Notes or SOHO Organizer. When you first ran version 9, the software presented a window telling you that your version 8 database needed to be upgraded to version 9. The window explained two important things:
1) It explained that a backup of your version 8 database would AUTOMATICALLY be made for you and saved in the same directory as your database. It explained that the version 8 backup would be named the same name as the original database plus the words "(Previous Version)". For example, the version 8 backup of your Personal database would be called, "Personal (Previous Version)". You can find your version 8 backup at the below path on your computer where ~ denotes your Home folder.For example, the path "~/Library" means you first select your Home folder in the Finder and then you select the Library folder. This path is different from "/Library" which is the main Library folder at the root level of your hard disk.
2) It explained that you needed to also launch version 8 of the software and make your own backup. This requirement was imposed so you had your own backup in a location that you felt was safe. This means you had TWO backups of your version 8 database to ensure that you would be double-safe in case something went wrong or in case you wanted to return to version 8 for whatever reason.
Follow the below steps to delete version 9 of the software and go back to version 8:
STEP A. Uninstall SOHO Sync.
If you've enabled syncing at any point, you need to unregister SOHO Sync which will also remove the "SOHO Notes" and "SOHO Tags" items from your MobileMe system preference pane. Here's how:
1) Launch SOHO Notes
2) Choose SOHO Notes > Preferences
3) Select the Sync preference pane
4) Click Unregister SOHO Sync
5) Quit SOHO Notes
If you've already deleted SOHO Notes, but still need to uninstall SOHO Sync, then you can follow the steps in this article:
STEP B. Quit the background helper applications.
SOHO Notes and SOHO Organizer use several helper applications to provide services when they're not running. The helper applications run in the background so you don't normally see them running. You'll need to quit these helper applications before you can delete the SOHO Notes 9 and SOHO Organizer 9 applications. Here's how:
1) Launch SOHO Notes
2) Choose SOHO Notes > Helper Applications
3) Click Quit Helper Applications
4) Quit SOHO Notes
STEP C. Uninstall the version 9 software.
To delete the SOHO Notes 9 and/or SOHO Organizer 9 applications and related files, please drag the below items to the Trash and then empty the Trash. The path for each item is provided.
1) "SOHO Notes" version 9 application. Location: your Applications folder unless you originally installed it elsewhere
2) "SOHO Organizer" version 9 application. Location: your Applications folder unless you originally installed it elsewhere
3) “ChronosNotesCM.plugin” file. Location: ~/Library/Contextual Menu Items/ChronosNotesCM.plugin
4) “ChronosNotes.wdgt” file. Location: ~/Library/Widgets/ChronosNotes.wdgt
STEP D. Delete your version 9 database(s).
Now that you've deleted all the files related to the application itself, you can delete the version 9 database file(s). WARNING: Your version 9 data is stored in these files so deleting them will permanently delete all of your changes made since you installed version 9. Drag the following folder to the Trash and then empty the Trash:
1) Locate the following folder in the Finder and open it:
2) Inside of this folder are all of your version 9 databases and your version 8 backups. You can distinguish your version 8 backups by the
"(Previous Version)" words in the file's name. Drag the version 9 database files to the Trash, but do NOT drag the version 8 backups to the Trash. Do NOT empty the Trash until you've completed all of the below steps.
STEP E. Install version 8 and restore your backup.
1) Visit the following web page in your web browser:
2) Find and download the latest SOHO Notes 8 or SOHO Organizer 8
3) Double-click the SOHO Notes 8 or SOHO Organizer 8 application. The software will launch and create a new database. Your old version 8 license will automatically be recognized so you shouldn't have to re-enter it.
4) Choose File > Restore Database > From a File. You'll be asked to choose your version 8 backup. You can choose the backup file that the software automatically created when you first ran version 9 or you can choose the backup file that you created. You are the only one who knows the location of the backup you made. The location of the automatic backup was discussed earlier in this article. Your version 8 database will be restored and you'll see all of your data.